Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Electrical 101

I have approached this project with an open mind in all aspects.  I research everything to a T, my fiance usually pokes fun at me for it but knows its important if you want to get something right.  After crunching numbers and learning about what is needed in certain departments, I have decided to do the interior and body work in my garage instead of paying out for it.  I have a good friend who is also a gear head and we discuss new practices and methods frequently.  The conversation is usually wrapped up with "its not rocket science".  This is true . . . . banging some dents may take some serious skill, and I'm not down playing it, but its not rocket science - I'm capable.  So, I have had a hammer and dolly set molded to my hands over the past week as I learn how to work out a couple dents in my bonnet.  I surprised myself after the first night of work and feel like I can harness the ability to finish it out.  We have also been looking at paint booth designs that guys have built in their garages - totally doable.  I have the compressor, almost as tall as me, I have the nice gun - no reason we cant do this. 

 These show the first dent I approached.  You can see another one lower on the bonnet in the first image.  This is what the top one looked like before I got to it.  I need to purchase some dura blocks to assist in the sanding, but I made do with what I had on hand.  You can clearly see the original baby blue showing through.  The small silver spots are still a tad bit high, but you can barely feel them.  I plan on making a trolley for the bonnet that will allow me to turn it flat and work on it easier.  Lead loading will also be a skill I will pick up.  I have everything needed and have practiced on some scrap.



On to other areas, I have found my coil to be faulty so I ordered a Lucas Sport Coil from SNG which should be here tomorrow as well as some plug wires.  I am anxious to get these as this is hopefully the last step in getting spark to the motor.  My grand plan is to have this flat blue classic sitting in a spot for the SABCC car show.  As I watch the calendar, Oct 22nd is approaching fast.  I'm starting to feel the pressure to get it sorted out.  I still have a dead clutch pedal which I haven't even diagnosed, but believe it to be as simple as getting fluid in and priming up the system.  I am pushing hard to get fire over the weekend.  This will lead into a fine tooth shake down on running components before I will try to move it.  First runs will be contained in my neighborhood as it has a very nice oval from my house which is around a mile long start to finish.  Once I feel ok about things, wheels will be removed and fresh rubber will be installed - 25 yo dry rotted tires dont inspire much confidence. . . .  Speaking of rubber, I have always wanted a set of white walls and love the classic look they provide.  I have seen era pictures that show E Types with white walls, so I dont feel like it is breaking the purity of the the car.  E's tuck the tires soooo slightly and a set of pretty white walls draws to this subtlety.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but neigh sayers didnt put the hours in the garage with me, so their opinions aren't recognized here. . .




 This brings me to the next issue.  I would love to have a YOM tag like the one pictured below, but have read some interesting facts.  A lot of states let you run YOM anywhere you want as long as you have a standard tag in the car with you at all times.  Alabama says you can only run a YOM if you are in a show, trailering, or driving to a club sponsored event. . . Is this as regulated as they try to make it sound?  Can anyone comment on YOM tags and classics?  I don't really have a problem putting a standard tag on but would love to sport a year correct tag if I could. 


This OTS is sporting the same colors I will be using.  After the Oct 22 show, it will be full throttle body and paint!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Dave:

    I've run year of manufacture tags on my cars for several years now and have never been hassled by the law. I have driven the cars to work several times and have not gotten a second look from the police. The Alabama law also states that "testing" is an approved use of the car on the road. I'm always testing SOMETHING!

    Check out: http://sabcc.blogspot.com/2010/12/vintage-plates-in-alabama.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need a '69 plate, let me know. I've got several you can choose from.

    Alan McDonald

    ReplyDelete