Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Making headway!

Its been a few days since I have been able to commit solid evening work to the E Type (projects around the house are almost done!)  I have been focusing my attention to the fuel tank.  I know this one is usable, just need the determination to get the chemicals in it and start shaking.  Upon further inspection, what I had originally determined was extensive rust turned out to be varnish that flakes off easily.  I will be calling a couple local radiator shops today and inquiring about using their vat which would REALLY simplify this process.  I have prepared the manifold surfaces for being re-united with my Strombergs and will be getting gaskets on order should the rebuild kit not supply them.  I also have begun assessing the state of hard hoses.  While the carbs are out, it is easy to get at a lot of these hoses which would be a pain to replace once the carbs are back on.  I will start replacing the worst of the worst, for the price of a hose its worth it to me to know that they are fresh.  While I am without carbs and fuel pump I need to get some cleaner in the hard fuel line to make sure it is free of debris etc, I have some pretty nice chemicals for that.

The interior is out and I am studying the seats.  I know the recline bar that runs behind the seat on the passenger is broken at the end.  This isn't a big deal as I can have my friend weld it up good as new.  The center console seems to have been covered by lighter vinyl that is over the factory black, this will all be removed and re-finished.  I'll be shooting more pics tonight that touch on these areas, so check back!

*** While I'm thinking about it. . . . Does anyone have a good suggestion for a de-greaser?  I am trying to clean and coat areas that a brush etc can't get to efficiently.  It would be nice to be able to spray it and wipe it down. ***

1 comment:

  1. I like Purple Power. Works well and can be found at most discount stores.

    ReplyDelete