Monday, August 1, 2011

New friends and AA for gears heads.

As I began on this project I soon realized that I had questions . . . Not just a small quantity, but loads and loads of questions.  I sought after information and people to answer them.  My awesome fiance Dillon suggested that I try to track down a forum as I had always had good luck with them in the past (motorcycles, jeeps, etc)  After a bit of searching I stumbled upon http://www.jag-lovers.org/  This was a meeting place for people all over the world that suffered from the same addiction.  I browsed for a few hours and found that it contained a wealth of knowledge.  So, I figured I would sign up.  My first post contained some background on my E-Type and myself and a greeting to everyone.  It was no more than an hour or two that someone asked me where I lived in (South Alabama).  We soon exchanged emails, turns out he is a 25 minute drive from my house and was restoring his own '64 E-Type.  Richard led me to his own blog ( http://www.xjjag.blogspot.com/ ) and said that we should meet up and talk Jags!  My father and I visited his garage one evening . . . breathtaking for a gear head.  And his 64? Gorgeous.  We talked with Richard for a couple hours and he invited us out to a club meeting.  ( http://www.sabcc.org/ )That following Tuesday my father and I went to the meeting at the Lake Forrest Yacht Club.  It was raining so hard outside, traffic was at a  crawl and there was no way to touch outside air with out coming in like you had just stepped out of a pool.  That didn't stop the trek however.  We strolled in like two wet rats and were warmly greeted by the nicest group you could ask for.  Everyone told us of what cars they owned and introduced themselves.  It was very well structured and comfortable.  After the meeting, we met everyone personally.  I was introduced to Mike Darby ( http://darbyclassics.com/ )  I was informed that he was the man to go to for tough jobs on our cars.  Before I left, I gave Mr. Darby a box with my carbs in it.  I know they are in good hands.  This down time with out the carbs is giving me some good time to go though other areas of the car that I would otherwise be tempted to skip.

3 comments:

  1. Good blog David. It's great having both you and your dad join our car club. I'm sure it will be a mutually rewarding relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome aboard! I'm enjoying your writing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to being a part of the activities. I'll continue to update the blog as it happens. I have a few days worth of work to catch up with.

    ReplyDelete